Monday, January 19, 2015

Goodbye Sony, Hello Canda!

Well, it's official. Sony Pictures Animation has officially announced that they are moving the American branch to Vancouver. It's going to be rough growing up in Florida. I guess this means I'm going to have Canadian children now eh?


 I went this past fall and worked at SIGGRAPH,  in Vancouver. I fell in love with the city the second I got there. SIGGRAPH is a computer graphics convention. It's a week long, and there's all these different talks daily about movies and processes. For example, I saw the How to Train Your Dragon 2 talk, and they showed their character concepts, rigs, storyboards, and talked about specialized techniques used throughout the production process. It took place in Vancouver, and everyone that attended worked at big studios. It was so eye opening to be just completely swallowed in the media, having all these great accomplished people talk to you, and even give you feedback on your reel.


There was an event one night called the Studio Crawl, where a bus would take you to all the different big studios in Vancouver. Just to name a few there was Industrial Light and Magic, Rhythm and Hues, and of course....Sony. So naturally, I had to go to the Sony studios. As soon as I walked in, my eyes lit up. It was like a dream come true just being in their vicinity. Every person I met, I treated like a movie star. I was taking pictures of everything there, i loped like such a tourist.


One of the best parts though? Getting a render man teapot from Pixar!

No comments:

Post a Comment