Saturday, December 14, 2013

Crystal Prop 04




These are all different views of a crystal stuck in a rock I had to create for my animated student film. The film is titled Celestial, and it's about a man who lives in a Nebula and creates planets. In the nebula, these rock crystal structures are scattered all around. I used maya to build the basic shape,  and mud box to sculpt out and paint the textures for this prop. I am trying out different techniques to see which one matches the overall style of the film the best. It's pretty tough because I am not a modeler, and I haven't modeled in a long time. Especially with organic objects. So reference was my best friend. I tried to go straight off the model sheets, but I found those were lacking a lot of detail, and I couldn't get a basis for what they were meant to look like. Especially with the sharp jagged edges, and the all of the polygonal faces. I also needed to get the texture to interact correctly with the lighting. The light needed to pass through the crystals, but also highlight all of the jagged edges and indentations. With the texture I did, they kind of just look like giant candies to me. We will definately be hiding these guys behind pillars of clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment